March 12, 2010

Tip Driven Society

It's sad how tips drive this society in so many places. You can no longer tell if someone is trying to be nice to you, or if they just want a tip.

I generally don't carry cash. It's just easier these days to use a card. When someone unexpectedly picks up my bags for me, opens a door for me, or offers a nice piece of advice, I don't have cash on hand to offer them. When I think about it, why should I? If I saw someone struggling to get their bags down the stairs, or having trouble opening a door, I would like to think that I would freely help them if I were able. I wouldn't then hold out my hand for a tip. Why can't people just help people out of the good in their heart? I do understand that sometimes you seek a service, and it's reasonable to pay more if they went out of their way to provide you with good service. It's another thing when you're having trouble with something and someone comes to your rescue, only to hold out their hand for a tip as soon as the good deed is done.

I wish people had a desire the help each other even when there wasn't monetary compensation involved. These days it's sometimes hard to tell if people are trying to help you or just trying to get your cash.

No comments: